Simplify Your Life: Tips to Help Your Kids Embrace Routine
The fall season marks the end of summer activities and brings back to school and a chance to hit the reset button with routines and schedules. There is something about getting back into routines and predictable schedules that provides a calming effect on most families.
The structure of routines are especially helpful for with learning and attention issues.
Two routines to establish (if you haven’t already!):
1. Prep the night before
- Pack lunch/snack
- Pack backpack with binder, homework, any needed books or other notes
- Lay out clothes for next day (including socks, underwear, shoes and even hair clips
2. Use a morning routine checklist
- Create a simple morning routine checklist, laminate it and put it on a clipboard with dry erase marker so your child can easily check things off as completed each morning
- The checklist can include words/images/icons for morning tasks such as brush teeth and hair, eat breakfast, get dressed, make your bed, get your backpack (that was packed the night before)
Want more ideas? Check out these resources from our partner, Understood.org and have a second cup of coffee.